James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I bought a new hotpoint DU2 540 L unedr counter oven and

Customer Question

Hi, I bought a new hotpoint DU2 540 B L unedr counter oven and grill in April this year. From the very first day the grill turns itself off after 7 to 10 minutes and then comes back again after about 5 minutes but will again turn itself off and continues like that. It is very frustrating, is this normal ?
JA: Is your Hotpoint oven gas or electric?
Customer: electric
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: From day one, only the grill, not the oven. I had assumed that it was a design element of the new appliance (???) but having talked to someone who works in an electrical appliance store, he told me it didnt sound right
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, Just wondering is this a design element of any new appliance as a mechanism to stop overheating or avoid food getting burnt ??, i cant understand why else it would be done on purpose
Expert:  James replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
Does the grill do this even when on the hottest setting?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
If the grill is on the half setting (half grill on, half grill off) then it dosent switch off but other than that, we normally cook at the higher heat level and at that it wil always switch off after 7 to 10 minutes, stay off for about 5 minutes and then come back agai, but again will switch off and that cycle continues
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
hello ?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hello, has this chat ended ????
Expert:  James replied 25 days ago.

This is not an immediate service I am afraid, it can take time for experts to respond, as they will need time to go away and look into the fault, but we do try and respond as soon as possible.

There is a thermal fuse which will cut out the grill to stop the compartment overheating, so this would be normal behaviour for the oven to switch the grill on and off to avoid the compartment overheating.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!