Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I'm trying to get the lids back on our Aga. We have the post

I'm trying to get the lids back on our Aga. We have the post 1995 hinges and they came off with little trouble, but tightening them up again is proving tricky.
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: It's an Aga. Post 1995
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm after advice on adjusting the grub screws so that the lid will go tight. I have tried adjusting them, but the lid still wobbles
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your Aga lids, and I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a reply.

This is a tricky fault to sort remotely, so I can offer only general advice. I would remove each grub screw and, if you haven't already, thoroughly clean the threads. Blow out the screw holes, lubricate the screw lightly with high-temperature bearing grease, and before remounting the lid make sure the grub screw can wind all the way to end of the thread.

Do not use WD-40 or anything flammable of that ilk!
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks, I'll give that a go when it's cool again tomorrow. The simmering plate is ok, but the boiling plate needs some adjustment.

Okey dokey. I will be interested to hear the outcome :-)

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Managed to get the lids adjusted Ok, but the problem now is the power flue fan is making a lot of noise. I can adkjust the seating and get it running quietly, but then it goes noisy again. I've got a spare fan, is it time to rpelace.

That's good news about the lids :-)

How old is the noisy fan?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Probably 5 years

The bearing could easily have become worn in that time. I'd opt for replacing it - you'll know straight away if it has made the difference.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'll change it at the weekend.

I look forward to hearing the outcome :-)

Tim Cooke,
Experience: Owner at Self-employed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Fan replaced and running very quietly now. Thjanks for your help. i think I knew it needed doing, but nice to have it confirmed.

I know exactly what you mean - sometimes just bouncing the idea of someone makes all the difference.

Thank you for your rating. I'm glad that it's back it its normal self :-)