James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch fridge freezer with ice dispenser the water

Customer Question

Hi I have a Bosch fridge freezer with ice dispenser the water feature was used for first time in a long time today and the water won’t shut off ! I turned the feed of at mains but it’s still running and will only turn off when I turn the whole mains off
JA: What's the brand and model of your freezer? How old is it?
Customer: it’s 13 years old I couldn’t find name on it the serial number on back is KE78E191 0508
JA: How long has this been going on with your freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we never had a problem with it before We use the ice dispenser all the time but never the water only used it by chance today .. just have been trying to stop the water I turned mains off then checked the feed to the fridge freezer and turned it off but when put the mains back on the water started pouring again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don’t think so
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
Is it just the water feed for cold tap water or for the ice dispenser which will not turn off?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The dispenser offers ice or water and it’s that water feed that won’t stop it only stopped when full mains is turned off
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No if you can reply by text please I’m not in the UK
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can you help ?
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Offers for calls are just automated adverts, you can discard them if you are happy for a typed response (and do not want to pay the additional fee). However it can take time for experts to respond, please be patient and an expert will respond as soon as possible.

So if the cold water feed is only faulty and not effecting the water feed to the ice machine it suggests the valve may have failed in a open position.

Switching off the appliance for 5 minutes and then back on, once back on turning on the water supply if the water is still streaming through its most likely a new valve will be required.

If you locate the ENR number shown on the inside of the fridge compartment you can use the website here to see if parts are available, the average cost is around £60, taking into account the part requires stripping down the door to replace it its most likely going to need an appliance engineer, so would suggest you consider a fixed price repair such as here, or consider replacing the appliance rather than repair since the unit is approaching the end of its useful life.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks the water has reduced to a constant drip from the start even with the mains turned off. I turned the fridge off for 5 minutes but the drip didn’t even stop so it looks like there’ll be another flood if I turn the mains on
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Understood this does suggest the inlet valve has failed then and will need replaced.