Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Electrician advice please. I am trying to replace a standard

Customer Question

Electrician advice please. Hi. I am trying to replace a standard light switch with a remote switch. So I have two wires coming out of the wall but four in/outputs on the unit. See pic. I know I probably need to bridge two terminals somewhere. But which ones? Thank you.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

So that I can give you accurate guidance, please let me know the exact model number of the new switch.

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Smartwares remote switch.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

OK. But there's more than one model, and I want to be certain of giving you the correct information for your model.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok thanks. It seems to be the following. 10.037.27. SH5-RBS-10a. Cheers
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

The receiver doesn't replace your existing light switch. It needs a power supply so you need to install it in the ceiling or run a power cable to the existing switch.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks but surely I can take power from the switch itself?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

If you tell me how you plan to make the connections, I'll tell you whether or not that will work, with reasoning.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was hoping you could tell me but on thinking about it maybe it’s not possible!
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

There's no doubt about it - you need to install it in the ceiling or run a power cable to the existing switch.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok many thanks Tim.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

Sorry that it's not quite the news you wanted. Depending on your light fitting, there could be ways to incorporate the receiver quite neatly, i.e. without creating any kind of eyesore.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I should be able to get a feed through. Thanks for your hep.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

Ah that's good news :-)

Do you know how to connect things once you've done that? If not then let me know. I'll leave the topic open so that you can.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
that's fine. Thanks Tim. Bye.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

You're very welcome :-)