James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We had a CDA wine cooler fitted as part of a kitchen refit

Customer Question

We had a CDA wine cooler fitted as part of a kitchen refit in 2017. The electronic component that starts it has failed. The company supplied a new component for our repair man to fit, but we are unable to pull the wine cooler cabinet forward in order to access the defunct part for replacement, the tiled floor having been added after fitting. As we are obviously reluctant to remove the tiles in order to achieve this, we want to know if it might be possible to access it from above. This would entail temporarily removing the sink, as the wine cooler is situated below the draining board. Would it then be possible to remove the top part of the outer casement of the cooler and access it that way?
JA: What's the brand and model of your wine cooler? How old is it?
Customer: It was bought and fitted in 2017. Model number FWC 303SS
JA: What have you tried so far with your wine cooler?
Customer: The repairman has looked at the cooler, assessed the fault, which he says is common in these freestanding models when they are installed under a worktop, as the part that has broken overheats. He said he would be unable to access the position of the part to be replaced without being able to slide the complete unit forward. This is not possible without having to remove several floor tiles, as the floor is raised above the level of the floor where the cabinet legs are resting.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can’t think of anything else.
Expert:  James replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
To confirm you want to know if the roof of the fridge can be removed to access the rear of the control panel?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Correct. Also if the roof is not removable, we were wondering about using a grinder to cut out a section of the roof of the cabinet in order to access the part. This might also allow more airflow and stop the overheating problem which has been blamed for the short life of an otherwise fairly simple appliance. To safely do that, we need to see a diagram showing the position of the electronics in order to access them easily from above.
Expert:  James replied 22 days ago.

I was going to clarify why you thought the roof came off as its part of the sides.

Cutting holes in the roof is not really a viable option, you then start getting into causing a range of problems, compromising insulation, fire protection etc.

Are you not able to remove the cupboard up right adjacent to the appliance and then place it on its side and bring it out that way?

Its very strange that post tiling you have lost that much height with the feet screwed in you can't save 1-2cm to pull the appliance out, so would double check if there is no move give in the feet.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
OK, I agree that cutting a section of the roof away may not be viable. The repairman said he could not shorten the legs and thereby lift the cabinet over the step of the tiles. Could I send photos of the cabinet position and the feet to give you a better idea of the position? Otherwise, we may have to try to saw off the screw legs in order to try to remove it!
Expert:  James replied 22 days ago.

The only thing I can suggest is to cut off the legs I am afraid, otherwise its a case of removing the cupboard either side or lifting the worktop.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks for your consideration of my problem. Lesson learnt: fit kitchen floor tiling first underneath where appliances are to be placed, in anticipation of eventual breakdown and either repair or replacement!
Expert:  James replied 22 days ago.

I am afraid its one of those expensive lessons, I will give it some more thought tonight and come back to you if I can think of any other approach.

If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!