James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

The oil supply pipe to my boiler was installed as 20mm pipe.

Customer Question

The oil supply pipe to my boiler was installed as 20mm pipe. my service engineer states that the pipe must be no more than 10mm
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: o
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: boiler trips too frequently
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: pipe is some 70 metres longer under my drive.Initially boiler ran like sewing machine for 2 or 3 years but now trips on flame failure
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
boiler say 6 years old ran smoothly for first 3/4 years now but trips on flame failure 2 or 3 times a week
Expert:  James replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
The size of the pipe shouldnt make any difference other than the pump may have to work a little harder to prime but since your not running out of oil thats not a consideration for your currently problem.

When you say the boiler trips, do you mean it locks out?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It is a Danesmore 26/32 Under the normal running light on the boiler there is another light that comes on triggered I believe by flame failure. I had an old tank and found that there was water in the supply tank. My tank has now been replaced with a new bunded tank. The boiler ran OK for a couple of weeks but is now back into tripping mode. \i pumped about a litre of water out of my old tank and then flushed about 10 litres of new clean oil down the line. No water was seen on doing this. my service engineer won't visit me now as he says the supply pipe should be 10mm. can you confirm that 10 mm isn't a necessity please. I feed my Aga cooker off the same supply line. Hope this may help your deliberations
Regards Edward
Expert:  James replied 24 days ago.

Hi Edward,

I have just gone back over the technical specs for your boiler and manufacture specifies a max of 10mm outer diameter pipe with a distance of 100m for an above ground tank. The specification is shown on figure 11 of page 14 giving different options such as single pipe or dual pipe supply.

So I would agree that the installation is not compliant the only reason the manufacture is stating 10mm should be used is for addressing aeration.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!