James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Dyson ball vacuum cleaner HD3-uk-FNA1562A. Looses majority

Customer Question

Dyson ball vacuum cleaner HD3-uk-FNA1562A. Looses majority of suction power 1-2 seconds after switching on. No obvious blockages, removable top filter clean. Motor and suction fine without the removable filter/dust collector component. All seals look ok but machine is old now. Is there anything else I can get in to clean or check?
JA: How old is your Dyson vacuum?
Customer: Hmm - 6-10 years??
JA: How long has this been going on with your Dyson vacuum? What have you tried so far?
Customer: whoops - something happened there to my message. suction always stops when i replace the cylinder. Ive cleaned all hose and checked everything for blockages, washed the filter, shaken out the cylinder (there was some fine dust) tried with and without cylinder to make sure it wasn't motor, wiped and checked seals
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there anything else removable that I can get into in the cylinder itself to check?
Expert:  James replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
Does the pitch of the motor change after 1-2 seconds or does it sound the same?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The pitch changes after one to two seconds with the cylinder on without the cylinder there is no change
Expert:  James replied 13 days ago.

This would point to a fault on the vacuum motor if its failing even when not under load, the motors for most of the Dyson ball range are unavailable (see here), taking this into account with the age of the vacuum its probably cheaper to replace rather than repair if you are confident all seals and filters have been cleaned and there is no blockages in the system

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It's not failing when not under load....please read what I have said!! Are you positive it is impossible to dismantle the cylinder to clean ?
Expert:  James replied 13 days ago.

You haven't referenced which model of vacuum you have but most all strip down the same way please see the video here.