Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an AEG BP8314001M oven and it keeps tripping the

Customer Question

hello, I have an AEG BP8314001M oven and it keeps tripping the electrics
JA: How old is your AEG oven?
Customer: it has only been used 2/3 times but it's been sat in my parents garage for about 3 years as I bought it from work
JA: How long has this been going on with your AEG oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has just been installed and I set it to pyro clean and it trips the electrics and locks the doors
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I switched off the power and waited until the morning where the door was then unlocked
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your oven.

What kind of conditions was the oven kept in? Was the garage dry or damp? Was the oven covered, or wrapped up? Have you taken the back panel to make sure no creatures have nested inside?

Which device is tripping - MCB, RCD, or RCBO?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello Tim,Thank you for your quick response. It was in a dry garage and wrapped in bubble wrap. I haven't checked the back panel, I can do that today but it's not likely as it was a domestic garage with people coming in and out quite regularly.I could turn it on but as soon as I put it on a heat setting or cleaning setting it tripped the RCD.I have taken it out of the kitchen unit and it is now in my study, is it possible to test it/ repaired it from here before getting someone to come in to reinstall it?Thanks Tim!
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

It's possible for an element to corrode during that period of storage, or for the internal insulation to break down. You can test the resistance of all elements, but that won't always show up a fault. You need to use an IR (insulation resistance) tester to check it thoroughly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks for confirming. Is it best for me to arrange a call out for someone to do that?What if it is not that, any other ideas of what could be causing it?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

It can only be an element, or rodent damaged wiring.