James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch dishwasher that needs too much salt. I

I have a Bosch dishwasher that needs too much salt. I presume that it is because I have run it when the salt has run out on some occasions. Can this be rectified?
JA: Do you know the model of your Bosch dishwasher? How old is it?
Customer: Classicism and about nine years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch dishwasher? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It must be a month or more and I have been running it when the salt has run out.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don’t think so.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
What is the model number of your appliance?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The only number I can find is ixx

The ENR (model number) is shown on the inside of the dishwasher door.

I am unclear what you mean by "needs too much salt" but the compartment should be filed up to the brim with salt which can take a couple of bags to fill if left empty.

Once its filled the amount of salt used is determined based on the hard water setting chosen, which is explained in the user manual.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your patience. I have found that my water hardness is 2. What I have been doing is running the machine without refilling the salt container for several days. Would this be the cause of the problem?

Yes, you want to have the container full to the bring with salt and then periodically top it up, or when the salt light comes on be prepared to fill it up using complete bags of salt.