James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have an old (c. 2003) Britannia S1-9S range cooker where,

Customer Question

Hi. I have an old (c. 2003) Britannia S1-9S range cooker where, after years of service (and a full service about 2 years ago) the oven has stopped working. The hob ignition works and so does the clock. Rotating the function selector switch (which moves quite easily) causes a slight glow in the bottom orange neon if the temp is set to 0. Otherwise nothing. The RH oven lamp is blown - so I have removed it. Any ideas?
JA: Is your range gas or electric?
Customer: The range is gas
JA: How long has this been going on with your range? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It happened a day or two ago - and, to date, I have checked that the clock/timer is set to manual and I have also been investigating how to access the selector switch - to check if power is getting there.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My wife complained that the oven went off once before - for a short time - and then 'came back'.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the clock/timer appears to be set to manual.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have removed the hob cover on the RH side, so i can now access the selector. Just checking which terminals to use my meter on.
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Works on gas appliances in the UK are regulated and require building regs notification, as such I would strongly suggest you get a gas safe engineer to perform the works in order to ensure the appliance is safe to use and you also meet the associated legislation.

Where the oven is not responding (no light, fan or heat) this would most likely point to a fault function selector switch the service engineer can swap out for you.