KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My hotpoint fridge internal light is on but the fridge motor

Customer Question

Hi, my hotpoint fridge internal light is on but the fridge motor is not coming on and there is an occasional clicking noise. I have cleaned the back of the fridge and there is electricity. I have just defrosted the fridge when it was working normally.
JA: How old is your Hotpoint fridge? Does the noise get louder or softer when changing the temperature setting?
Customer: the fridge is about 5 years old. The intevals between the clicking sound is quite long and there dosent seem to be a noticeable difference when I turn up the temperature i think it gets a bit louder.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Last time I defrosted it it happened which was a few months ago, I cleaned some of the dust that had accumulated on the back grill of the fridge and then it worked again. Today I defrosted it and I checked the back for dust but it seems cledan.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ean clean
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (5VPQ36T)
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

The clicking noise that you hear, is it coming from near the compressor or from the controls ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, thanks. I don't think it is coming from the controls if you mean the temperature control inside the fridge. I don't think it is coming from there.

OK then I am afraid this indicates either the start relay located next to the compressor and/or the fan motor is faulty and will need replacement.

You will have to contact Refrigeration Engineer and get this replaced.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
okay thank you. should I switch the fridge off at the mains in the meantime?

Yes that will be fine.

I hope this helps, please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.