How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KevinWhiteJA Your Own Question
KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 5183
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
KevinWhiteJA is online now

I have a Panasonic microware combination free standing oven

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic microware combination free standing oven that has just failed. Nothing on it appears to work - no interior light, no clock/timer illuminated etc. I have confirmed that the power supply to the mains socket is live and the at the fuse in the plug worked when temporarily switched to another appliance. I have had the cover off the appliance and can confirm that the 2 fuses in the circuit board to which the power cables are attached are both OK (checked with a meter). I have now reached the limit of my ability. Can you give me any advice or point me at a Panasonic approved technician who can have a look? I can't find a model number on the machine but I could buy a similar 1000w unit of similar specification for £224.00 so please could you advise the likely range of costs for repair based on the most probable causes. Many thanks. *****: What Panasonic product do you have?
Customer: As you will see in my message, I can't find the data plate giving model number but it is a 1000w Panasonic combination free standing microwave oven
JA: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?
Customer: That was also described in my first message. I have confirmed that my 13amp socket is live and that the 13 amp fuse in the plug is working. I have removed the cover of the oven and checked that the 2 in line fuses in the circuit board to which the power cable is attached are both OK. The were checked with a meter. I am now at the limit of my competence to investigate any further.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think I have covered all that would be helpful
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon,

You have reached justanswer.co.uk, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

This indicates an issue with the Magnetron that is faulty and will need replacement.

When you turn on the Microwave it starts and then after few seconds magnetron kicks in however, if control detects magnetron has not started to heat it will turn itself off or even trip the circuit.

When magnetron is faulty the Invert board is replaced as well.

The parts are available for £220 + repair charges.

However, looking at the cost of repair, it is better to buy new one then to spend this amount on repairs.

Sorry about the bad news.

Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Kevin - I am not sure that your answer fits my situation. When I plug the microwave in, it does not, as you suggest , turn on for a few seconds until the magnetron tries to heat up then turns itself off. Instead, there is absolutely no signs of life from the moment I turn on the switch on the wall socket. It would act the same as if the fuse in the plug had blown except it hasn't. Does this revise your thoughts as to the cause of my problem?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 11 days ago.

I understand Peter.

After reading your question I believe the inverter board has blown in your microwave and magnetron will need replacement as well.