How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Erdal Zal Your Own Question
Erdal Zal
Erdal Zal,
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 3947
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Erdal Zal is online now

I am a landlord who has just had a cooker point installed in

Customer Question

I am a landlord who has just had a cooker point installed in one of my properties. The electrician has located it in a cupboard under a sink. I have serious concerns about this. Can you advise please?
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Don't know. It's a standard bit of kit.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorry, is this relevant?
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 13 days ago.

Good Evening

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question. My name is***** am an expert from Germany and have been working as an equipment technician for 19 years. I work with a language translation program and I would be very grateful for your understanding.
I'm sorry I can't make a call, but another expert can do it for you if you want. I will try to help you as best I can via chat.
I am sorry that you faced this problem!

There is Norman where you can install electrical connections. Can you send me a photo of the junction where you are wondering if that is okay? You can attach photos below the right side of the text box with attachments. I can look at the photo and tell you exactly whether it is professional or whether it is not ok.

Please feel free to continue this topic if you have any further questions. I would be very happy to help you!
With best regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Please see attached photo.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 13 days ago.

Had the electrical installation installed under the sink? It must be raised at least 30-40 cm from the floor.

If it is raised at least 30 cm and has a water-protected junction box then nothing can happen.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It is not a water protection junction box. It is a plastic cooker isolation switch and is less than 30cm off the floor.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 13 days ago.

If it is below 30 cm and is not protected by water through special junction boxes, then of course it is not OK. If water should run out at some point, it is of course not OK. It could blow the fuse on the house.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What part of the regulations cover this?
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 13 days ago.

I don't know what you mean. Are you asking for special junction boxes?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Building regulations or IEE regulations. The electrician who installed this is saying that it meets regulations.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 13 days ago.

According to the regulations, it is permitted to make an electrical connection under the sink. It is only not allowed to be lower than 30 cm, not so close to the floor. If there is a flood, the connection cannot be established immediately with water. It is recommended to install a waterproof junction box. According to the regulations, this electrical connection must be protected with a rcd fuse.