KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a build up of ice behind the back panel of our

Customer Question

We have a build up of ice behind the back panel of our GKN16820 fridge freezer and it often makes a quite loud cracking noise
JA: How old is your fridge? Does the noise get louder or softer when changing the temperature setting?
Customer: It is just over 4 years old but the sound is still the same volume even after changing the temperature settings.
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started after about 6 months and we have tried adjusting the temperature slightly but it still makes the sound, there is also a buildup of ice behind the back panel in the freezer which means we have had to take 2 of the drawers out so the door closes properly.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can’t think of any other issues with it
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon,

You have reached justanswer.co.uk, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 24-36 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your help Kevin we will give that a try and see if it solves the problem.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 13 days ago.

I am glad, I could help.

You're welcome and Good Luck.

Cheers