Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Overheating plug destroyed two sockets and one extension.

Hi there, overheating plug destroyed two sockets and one extension. It's a home heater 3kw. The plug is sealed together with a cable and has 13a fuse in it. What can I do about the overheating? What could be the reasons for it? Would using a smaller heater 2kw solve the problem? If replacing the whole cable, which one including the plug and fuse would be appropriate for 3kw heater please? Many thanks

Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I’ll help you today.

In the photo, the plug looks undamaged - is that the case?

In answer to your question about the 2kW heater, you can use the existing heater at a lower power setting, and will greatly reduce the heat generated at the plug/socket.

If replacing the cable, use this or equivalent:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA2dot5F3B.html

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Tim, many thanks. The plug seems bit burned as the arrow points. I'll use the heater on half the power and see if the plug is not as hot (I could not keep my hand on it last time but I always used it for full power). Also is that fuse 13a the right one please? Many thanks indeed P

Hmm okay. You can always cut off this plug and fit a new one, without replacing the cable.

13 amps is the correct fuse rating for this heater.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Tim I'd probably prefer to replace this plug, could you please advice me which plug to use?! I suppose I just wire it in as usual?

Use the best quality BS1363 plugtop that you can find.

Double over the ends of the live and neutral conductors before clamping in the terminal, so that there’s as much copper as possible in contact with the brass pin.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! Much appreciated your help. P

You’re welcome. I’m happy to have helped.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer.  Have a great evening :-)

Thank you for your rating; I'm glad that I could help.
I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer.
Have a wonderful day :-)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
You have been very helpful. I'll be looking for you again whenever this sort of question needs a specialist. Many thanks!

Thank you for your kind words :-)