KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I own a Hotpoint double oven. The floor of the top oven

Hi Pearl. My name is***** I own a Hotpoint double oven. The floor of the top oven looks as if it's peeling away. It looks like a spill of say apple tart! I've cleaned it many times but it still smokes dreadfully. Is there anything I can do to rectify this.
JA: Is your Hotpoint oven gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: Electric. About 8 yrs old.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's been going on for a few weeks now. I've tried cleaning it on many occasions but it still smokes so badly that really cannot use it like this.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's definitely nothing that has been "spitting" i.e. grease etc. The floor looks to be "peeling" & I think this is where the smoke is coming from.

Good afternoon,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

To help me better assist you, please provide its complete model number (from the label/rating plate located inside the door).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did Pearl pass on my information & query, Kevin?

Yes, I can read everything that you have written however, model number is ***** there so please provide its complete model number.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing I can see that resembles a model no. is EW 74, Slot In.

Thank you for the model number.

If you don’t mind, please allow me a few minutes to check its schematics and then type the answer.

Mary, the paint inside, does it also peel away from any other parts ?

And have you tried cleaning, does that help at all ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried cleaning so many times! No paint peeling in any other places.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still with me, Kevin?

Yes, checking its schematics.

Please allow few more minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem.

There is another element below that oven floor.

It is recommended that you clean the floor from any spillage however, I don't think it is dangerous to operate the oven peeling bottom.

You may use a solution of ammonia and water, soak it on paper towel and let it sit overnight on the floor.

Or you may use a paste of baking soda and vinegar on the floor with the oven unplugged.

Then wipe it off after 24 hours before you use it and see if that helps.

I checked its spares as well and I am afraid Hotpoint do not sell complete top oven body as separate part.

You will have to buy a new oven if above solutions won't help however, as I said it is not dangerous to use if it is cleaned.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll try this Kevin. I don't hold out much hope but nothing ventured nothing gained. Thank you.

I understand, You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope this helps, please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.