KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My 16 year old Maytag fridge freezer is struggling to cool

Customer Question

My 16 year old Maytag fridge freezer is struggling to cool now. The motor seems to be turning on all the time to try to do its job. Normally you would hear it for a minute and then it stops. I'm not sure if it is worth fixing given its age or whether I should just get a new one!
JA: Do you know the model of your Maytag fridge?
Customer: The Model number is ***** if that's any help?
JA: How long has this been going on with your Maytag refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I noticed last summer when it wasn't really holding its temperature that well during the heat, even when on max (fridge wise - the freezer part seems fine) but then improved once the weather had cooled down. Now its not holding its temperature either in the fridge or freezer and the motor seems to be coming on all the time. I haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Given its 16 years old I am just wondering whether it is worth fixing basically!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 13 days ago.

Good morning,

You have reached justanswer.co.uk, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 24-36 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.