Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a dual fuel range cooker. As soon as I turn on the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a dual fuel range cooker. As soon as I turn on the power the fan oven comes on despite being off on the switch. I replaced the switch for a new one but the problem is still there. I forgot to say the element glows red but fan does not run unless you actually turn on the oven.
JA: What's the brand and model of your range? How old is it?
Customer: not sure was in the house when I bought it a month ago..it is an old model I am sure. the switch had a number on it 42.620.00. I think I need to replace the thermostat however all the ones I can find for sale only have 2 spade connectors when this one has three
JA: How long has this been going on with your range? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ever since I moved in a month ago. as I said I replaced the switch but the problem is still there, the switch and thermostat are integral..
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The only number on the thermostat is 901..I also have a photo on my phone.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (12M232V)
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your oven. Lets see if i can help you on this.

If the element is coming on as soon as you turn it on and you have already replaced the switch then it wont be the thermostat at fault here. As a thermostat wont cause this fault.

What it can be is an element is faulty to earth so it gives a feed to the element which can cause this fault.

If you have a megger or insulation meter you need to check the insulation of the cooker and see if its low.

If it is then you need to check the elements and see if one of them is faulty.

If there is then just disconnect the element and turn the power back on and see if the element that comes on all the time stops doing this.

As to the thermostat this is just a 2 wire thermostat as the other wire you have is just the earth wire.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should have said the 3rd wire is not in the photo as I had to disconnect it to remove it. The wire not shown is a blue wire that goes to the neon indicator light. So this blue wire a double red wire as shown and the 3rd grey wire you can also see..so which wire is the earth. Is it not easier to just replace the element if it has a fault.
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 days ago.

Ive marked on your picture which is the earth wire.

Click here

As to the element then yes it should be easy to replace. But need to find which one it is as theres a few elements in there.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, I removed the element from the circuit, however the neon indicator still comes on. plus I removed all wires from the switch and the neon indicator still comes on . there does not seem to be a feed to earth as surely this would trip the RCD. What i do not follow is with the element removed and the leads removed from the switch why is there a connection to enable the neon to show oven is on.?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 days ago.

Can you post the model number please.