Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

The lock on one of my gate opens can’t be locked because the

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: the lock on one of my gate opens can’t be locked because the lock has seized I’ve tried squirting wd40 but it stays jammed how do I remove it and replace with a new tumbler
JA: Who makes your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: its quite old it’s a chamberlain liftmaster
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its been seized a long time now (about 10 years) but it still slows it to be unlocked as it’s in the open position. I never had time to fix it before now
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: how do I remove the tumbler lock. It doesn’t show how in the manual is there a more detailed repair manual available
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 21 days ago.

Expert:  Tim JA replied 21 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Garage door locks are usually "Euro cylinder" style of lock barrels. These are held in place with one retaining screw. If you attach a photo of your door lock then I can easily confirm that and guide you in replacing it.
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
If it helps the part in question is a Chamberlain LiftMaster SCS300K Drivearm. It has a mechanism the allows the attached gate to be opened when the power is not on and you need to check that it’s running smoothly. The mechanism has a tumbler lock that allows it to be locked to prevent the gate being opened when not desired. The lock has seized in the open position and I can’t get the key to turn and lock the mechanism. So I want to remove it and replace it. I have the manufacturer’s installation data but it doesn’t show how to replace the tumbler? Please advise Regards Ramon
Expert:  Tim JA replied 21 days ago.

Hello Ramon

If you attach a photo of your door lock then I'll do my best to guide you in replacing it.