Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a five ring Baumatic Gas Hob. When cleaning the

Customer Question

Good morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a five ring Baumatic Gas Hob. When cleaning the ignition clicks on the first tap. Now the hob is cleaned only taps one, two and three ignite the hobs. Taps four and five ignition's are not working. Please advise.
JA: What's the brand and model of your hob? How old is it?
Customer: Sorry that I do not know as is is over nine years od
JA: The Appliance Technician can help you find the model number for your hob; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your hob? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only blowing the ignitions and changing the taps.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was cleaned yesterday by Vale Cleaning whose technician said there was a fault.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

It's likely to simply be residual moisture causing the spark to track along metal instead of across the requisite gap.

My advice is to give it a long time to dry out, like 48 hours, and use the oven at a low setting to raise the temperature of the whole appliance, to help the process. A hair dryer can also help. In the meantime try not to use the igniter - you can continue to use the gas, but light the burners with a match, or one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-piezoelectric-gas-lighter/6227X

These are just some first steps, so please come back to me if the problem persists.
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your advise. As the hob in on the work surface I will leave this to dry out for another day or two and will come back to you if the problem persists.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 11 days ago.

I'll be here, and I'll leave the topic open so you can follow up.

In the meantime, have a lovely week :-)

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Good afternoon, it has been 5 days since my hob was cleaned(BG67SS/B68SS) and taps four and five still do not have a spark ignition. Please advise if this hob is dangerous and what should I do next.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon.  After all this time it should have dried, so you'll have to book a visit from an engineer to diagnose and fix the problem.  You can book with Baumatic, or you can call your own Gas Safe registered engineer - whichever you prefer.
In the meantime, it's not dangerous as long as you can light those burners with the type of accessory I suggested before.  Or simply not use those burners until someone can visit.