Erdal Zal
Erdal Zal,
106347225

I have a Siemens-Electrogerate GmbH integrated

Customer Question

I have a Siemens-Electrogerate GmbH integrated fridge/freezer which is not working properly. It seems to intermittently struggle to keep the fridge cold with the temp light flashing and the freezer also starts to defrost. I'm not sure how old it is (approx 5-6 years) as it was in the house when I moved in but I've been told by a local company that it is not worth trying to fix. Do you know whether it would be cost effective to try and repair?
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge?
Customer: The plate inside says Siemens-Electrogerate GmbH. The only number I can see is K126M443GB is that likely to be the model number?
JA: What have you tried so far with your refrigerator?
Customer: I've tried various adjustments to the temp settings and defrosting both units fully with no luck
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really other than this has happened quite suddenly, it just seems to be not adjusting the temp properly and when it does start to cool it ends up with the back of the fridge frosting up
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

Good Evening

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question. My name is***** am an expert from Germany and have been working as an equipment technician for 19 years. I work with a language translation program and I would be very grateful for your understanding.
I'm sorry I can't make a call, but another expert can do it for you if you want. I will try to help you as best I can via chat.
I am sorry that you faced this problem!

The way you explain the error, there is a very high probability that the thermostat or the control electronics are malfunctioning or not working properly. Do you also have an FD number on the nameplate where you saw the model number? So I can find out how old the device is. In addition, check that the device has enough distance from the wall. If it is too close to the wall then such an error can also occur if it overheats and switches off automatically.

Please feel free to continue this topic if you have any further questions. I would be very happy to help you!
With best regards,
Erdal

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the device is not too close to the wall as it was installed when the kitchen was renovated and has been working up until now The FD number is *****
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

Your device is exactly 17 years old. I just looked it up. It is also possible that the fan is not working or that the compressor keeps breaking down. I have already looked up which spare parts you need. Some spare parts are not offered in full.

The repair could cost between 100-450 Pounds depending on the defective component. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a clear suggestion as to what exactly could be defective. It could be the compressor, it could also be the control board.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
That certainly doesn't sound like it would be cost effective for an appliance that old and I don't understand how that would be as the previous owner had only been in the house for 6 years and had installed the kitchen.
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

Of course, I don't know why the landlord said that to you. I can only give him the dates of the device. It turned exactly 17 years old in June. Depending on the defective component, it can be more or less expensive. The most expensive part is the compressor. Plus labour costs and travel expenses, it can be really expensive. Of course, it is not advisable to invest so much for the old unit.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you know what the temp setting should be set to and if the super button should be used?
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

The super button is only used when you switch the appliance on again to speed up the cooling process. But after that the temperature should remain constant and maybe fluctuate plus or -1°. It must not drop completely so that it defrosts everything.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the temperature setting options are 2,4,5,6 and 8. Does that mean setting 2 will be the coldest temp setting and 8 the highest
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

The higher you make the setting, the colder it gets. For example, position two is warmer than position eight. So number eight is the coldest.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
that doesn't make sense as it has degrees centigrade symbol on it, surely 8 degrees is warmer than 2?
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

I think they're talking about the thermostat. If you are talking about the cold degree setting of course that is correct. 2° is colder and 8° is warmer of course.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Really don't feel we're getting anywhere and I will just need to contact a local engineer for advice
Expert:  Erdal Zal replied 18 days ago.

I don't know what else you need to know. If you have any questions, you can still ask me. I have written to you what possibilities we have or why such an error is caused. I have written you what the repair would cost. Unfortunately, it is not a fault that you can easily fix. It must be professionally checked and repaired if necessary.