KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a hotpoint freezer hf1801 ef aa. After the power off

Customer Question

We have a hotpoint freezer hf1801 ef aa. After the power off for 5 minutes we have been unable to reset. It was constantly alarming with all lights flashing. We've followed the instructions but to no avail. We've then switched off for approximately 9 hours and on switching back on its now showing at 12 with a constant beep. Again we are unable to reset but sounds like it is running all the time. Normally runs at the factory setting. Can you help
JA: How old is your Hotpoint freezer?
Customer: 2 years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Started Thursday evening alarmed all through the night. Switched off at 6 am Fri morning and back on again around 3 pm yesterday. It's been stuck on 12 ever since with a beep that won't reset
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No we need help to reset. The buttons don't do anything
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 9 days ago.

Good evening,

You have reached justanswer.co.uk, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

You may press and hold the top two buttons together for around 15 seconds to reset the control.

If that won't work then please try this:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 24-36 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful evening.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The above reset hasn't worked. There is no ice build up. The alarm started after the electricity had been off for a few minutes. We would expect it to reset itself as soon as the power was restored.

I understand, if you have already tried then please contact Hotpoint and get the thermostat and/or element replaced.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome and Good Luck.

Cheers