Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I’ve got error F28 on my vaillant ecotec plus 837, about 6

Customer Question

Hi, I’ve got error F28 on my vaillant ecotec plus 837
JA: Who makes your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: about 6 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just got back from a week holiday - so up to a week ive turned it off/on a few times and I’ve tried to increase the water pressure a bit which has solved faults in the past
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Whilst the meaning of F.28 is clear, it's one of those fault conditions that can many different causes.

The basic condition is flame failure - either the boiler failed to ignite, or it ignited but then failed to detect the flame. Flame detection requires many different parts of the boiler to be working correctly, such as gas valve, igniter, electrodes, the PCB, and the leads between all of these things.

Unless you've very experience in working on gas boilers, the wise way forward is to book a visit from whoever last serviced the boiler, and ask them to diagnose and fix the fault.
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Many thanks for the answer
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

You're welcome.  I'm just trying to keep you safe.
One other thought:  do you have any other gas appliances in the property?  If so, have you checked that they're working properly?  If not, then you could have a gas supply problem rather than a boiler problem.  If that's the case then you would need to call your gas provider.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yep I checked that too and the gas hob is working fine. Thanks again
Expert:  Tim JA replied 8 days ago.

OK. It's good to eliminate that possibility.