KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We bought a house a few months ago with an old bosch

Customer Question

We bought a house a few months ago with an old bosch dishwasher installed. After a good hot water clean it has worked just fine, but now the pump is running even though it seems empty. If I pour water into it the pump extracts it and keeps running in bursts. The tap light is on. It will not reset with the start button, in fact none of the buttons are working. Only by switching off the power at the plug can I stop it. This happened over night having put the washer on a 60 cycle before going to bed. Help please!
JA: What happened just before the light on your Bosch dishwasher came on?
Customer: It was set to run a 60 cycle and the door closed to start it. It looks like it ran only part of the cycle
JA: How long has this been going on with your Bosch dishwasher? What have you tried so far?
Customer: And it looks like a bottle fell through the bottom tray which may have stopped the lower arms rotating
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When I switch the power back on at the plug, it reverts to the same state - trying to pump, though there appears to be no water in the sump. And as I said, the tap light is on too.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 7 days ago.

Good morning,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your appliance today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

To help me better assist you, please provide its complete model number (from the label/rating plate located inside the door).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Bosch dishwasher model unknown

OK, is it free standing or integrated appliance ?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Integrated and probably 9 years old (it came with the house, and that is when the previous owners fitted the kitchen)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It's been working fine

OK, Thank you.

Dishwasher drain pump continuously running indicates water has leaked in the base of appliance and activated the anti-flood device.

You may unplug it and remove the plinth (base panel below the door) of the appliance.

You will see a white/grey plastic cover and above the white plastic base tray there is a metal cover.

Remove this and then you can try and soak the water up from the base there.

After this is done, check the drain hose where it connects to house drain and make sure it is not clogged.

Then clean the mesh filter from inside and make sure it is not blocked.

Reconnect everything and plug it back, then try again.

If it won't work and if you see tap symbol again then aquastop valve is faulty and will need replacement.

That should solve the issue.

I hope this helps, please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
One other thing - I was fitting a basin in the cloakroom and had to switch off the water for a while, but not while the machine was running. I've done this before without any issue

I understand however, if machine was not running and if the water is turned on then doing that should not impact your appliance.

Please try previous advise and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK - will do, and thanks

You're welcome and Good Luck.

Cheers