Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

My machine has stopped connecting stitches, motor runs along

Hi, my machine has stopped connecting stitches, motor runs along fabric but cotton not connecting. Starts a few stitches then stops linking. Any ideas welcome
JA: What's the brand and model of your sewing machine? How old is it?
Customer: Janome sexist 740DC
JA: How long has this been going on with your Janome sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just gone wrong today. Last work was a stretch stitch which ran ok. I have re threaded cotton and bobbin checked tension and changed needle.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I’m working on jersey fabric.

Hi, I am Martyn, welcome to JustAnswer, I am sorry you are having these issues today, it can be frustrating. I am happy to try and help work with you to try to get this resolved if I can.

Try a sharp new needle first (and check it is in correctly, flat side to the rear for modern machines, or as per Manual )... this is often enough to resolve skipped stitches

NOTE : If it is under warranty, do NOT attempt to do too much, lest you void the warranty
If you have had a recent jam, then this suggests timing may be affected

In any event..... here's how to check

Unplug machine and remove all thread

Remove Needleplate, Free Arm and Bobbin Case so you can watch the needle easily

In correct Timing, the needle will be at the lowest point just before the tip of the hook passes behind (to catch the top thread)

If the hook passes too soon or too late, it will need re-timing...

This short VIDEO shows how a stitch is formed… if the hook is not in the correct position, it will not catch the needle thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8CMNzW6Tg

Here is a basics guide to know when and how, and whether it is time to hand it off to a trained Tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsebAKZxmU0

If the needle to hook is out of balance it will never form a stitch
As needle rises, the hook MUST be above the eye approx 1.8mm
Turn slowly by hand and watch the relationship
​Is there any deviation to this balance of needle to hook ??

If a thorough clean of the top tension unit, bobbin area and hook race.... plus using a new sharp needle (inserted with the flat side to the back) does not help, then your Hook to Needle timing is out.

Timing is not really something that can easily be achieved without training and, particularly in the case of a novice,...access to the service manual. The tolerances are quite fine in 3 dimensions and any error can cause more troubles and expense.

If the timing is even slightly out, it will be problematic, inconsistent or not sewing

Martyn Lloyd,
Experience: Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you this information we will take a look following your guidance but as you say if it looks to complicated I will contact our local machine expert. Many thanks for your time.