Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

The drum on my Siemens Tumble dryer WT46E3800GB/33 is not

Customer Question

The drum on my Siemens Tumble dryer WT46E3800GB/33 is not turning. The drum belt appear to be intact when I take off the top cover. When I turn it on to dry I can hear the fan coming on and it is turning but the drum does not start even when I give the drum a turn by hand with the top cover off
JA: How old is your Siemens dryer? Is the door switch working properly?
Customer: about 5 years. I think the door switch is ok as the fan comes on when the door is closed and turns of when I open the door
JA: How long has this been going on with your Siemens dryer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: stopped working yesterday. i have opened the top to see that the belt is in place, taken off the cover on the air duct to the rear and see that the fan is turning, The drum initially was hard to turn but now appears to turn with only a little resistance
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats all i have.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 15 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

This has the hallmarks of a motor failure. However, the only way to be certain is to measure the voltage reaching the motor. Clearly this requires great care, (a) as it involves operating the dryer when it's powered on, and (b) to avoid anything getting snagged in the belt, should the motor decide to turn. Is this the kind of investigation that you'd be comfortable doing?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is the motor also turning the fan? If so the motor would appear to be ok as the fan is turning at full speed
Expert:  Tim JA replied 15 days ago.

I recommend that you power off the dryer, pull it out, and remove the back panel so that you can inspect the drive belt and the motor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I removed the top and side panel. The small jockey pully belt from the motor id broken and the main pulley is ok. Not sure how to replace it as it the drive shaft on this pulley goes from the motor into another sealed unit
Expert:  Tim JA replied 15 days ago.

There will be a way to remove it - it's just a question of whether or not you have the tools to do it. I'd be tempted to take the assembly to a local appliance repairer and ask them to replace the damaged part, then you can reinstate the assembly.