James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

It’s a hotpoint fridge freezer that keeps displaying an A1

Customer Question

It’s a hotpoint fridge freezer that keeps displaying an A1 fault light
JA: Do you know the model of your Hotpoint fridge? How old is it?
Customer: its about two years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve emptied the contents. It was all iced up in the roof of the freezer compartment. I’ve also cleaned it all up. Reinstated as new. Opened the door. Adjusted the temperature to -18 degrees c.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The freezer compartment is now empty.
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
What is the model number of your appliance?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
XUL85 T3Z XOV VESD 9C
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

The temperature inside the freezer is too high. The freezer will maintain a temperature of around 0°C so that the food will not refreeze, allowing you to eat it within 24 hours or to refreeze it after it has been cooked. To switch off the buzzer, open and close the appliance door or press the + and – freezer temperature adjustment buttons once. Press these buttons a second time to display the set value on the freezer display, switch off the TEMPERATURE ALARM LED and restore normal operation.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve already taken those steps. Can I ask what i should set the freezer temperature to on the display ? Does it make any difference that the freezer compartments are empty?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No thanks to a call. At £16.00 it’s a bit steep for me.
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

I would power the appliance off and do a full defrost of the appliance over 4 hours then turn it back on and leave the doors closed and then make sure the appliance cools back down, where it comes back up with A1 after a few hours then you have a fault on the cooling system and need to get an service engineer to look at it.

Offers for calls are just automated adverts, you can discard them if you are happy for a typed response (and do not want to pay the additional fee). However it can take time for experts to respond, please be patient and an expert will respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks James. So, just to confirm...
A defrost is carried out with the doors closed ?
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

No defrost with the doors open, then turn it back on and keep the doors closed with nothing inside for a good hour to get it down to temp agian.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. James. I understand. Thanks again. I’ll try these steps you have suggested.