Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Panasonic landline phone. It has always worked.

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic landline phone. It has always worked. Today I press the green button and there is no dialling code
JA: Do you know the model of your Panasonic appliance? How old is it?
Customer: KXTG6521E. It’s more than five years old but maybe less than ten. Really not sure
JA: How long has this been going on with your Panasonic appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I made two calls earlier today, no problems. I just tried another, got a dialling code first time when I didn’t actually dial the number. Second go, no dialling tone
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we have three handsets. No dialling tone on any of them. We have electricity, no power cut
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

This could simply be a line fault.

Do you have a mobile phone with which you can dial your landline number, to test incoming calls?
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have just tried calling in to the number. It goes straight to answering message. So it is kind of stuck on 'engaged'
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Is the answering service the network's 1571 service?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

The next test is to unplug the telephone signal lead from the wall socket, that goes to the base unit, and call from your mobile phone again.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Done that, called again, went straight to voice mail
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK. You need to contact your telephony provider and report the problem. They will conduct a test and then report the fault.

Almost certainly they will ask you to remove the split faceplate from your master socket and plug your telephone cable into the test socket revealed there. If your master socket is too old to have a split faceplate then you can't do that test, but if you can I suggest that you do it before calling your provider as it will reduce the inevitable pain of talking to someone in a remote call centre.