Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a converted conventional AGA which was installed in

We have a converted conventional AGA which was installed in 2012. It now needs a new thermostat and possibly new screws for the AGA top. Is it dangerous to run the AGA without such a thermostat?
JA: Have you replaced your thermostat or parts of it before? If so, how long ago?
Customer: No we had not.
JA: How long has this been going on with your thermostat? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I noticed the thermostat was not working some weeks ago. I had someone serviced the AGA in April but they did not bring the replacement thermostat at that time. Meanwhile, we are having second thought about the engineer and feel we ought to have their work checked and do the replacement of the thermostat.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I thought I smelled gas last night; so as a precaution I turned the I turned the centre black knob of the temperature controller to off extinguishing the main burner but leaving the pilot light on. I was not sure how to turn off the gas supply so as to switch the pilot light and burner off totally. My husband usually attends to this but is not available at the moment. This morning the smell seems to have subsided, however, might it be safer to turn the stove off altogether until I can get a new service engineer? If so, how to do that?

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

The gas smell
You did the right thing. I doubt that the smell is related to the thermostat problem.

Turning off the gas supply to the stove
Leaving the pilot lit is fine, but if you want to turn off this supply then you need to find the "gas cock" close to the Aga. It probably looks a bit like the following image:

https://media.screwfix.com/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/46199_P
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry for not coming back sooner due to an emergency to deal with. And thank you for your advice about the AGA. As you suspected the gas smell was not coming from the AGA, after all, so no real concern—at least for now. And thank you for letting me know how to switch off the gas. It will be useful when the engineer comes to service it. Celine

Hi Celine

Was the gas smell real, and therefore coming from somewhere else? :-0

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
For days our housekeepers and I kept smelling something that reminded us of gas. Last night, I went on a full investigation and realised that the smell actually came from our female cat litter box. She usually goes outdoors and the litter box appeared untouched. She had cleverly covered her urine and over time it gave a gas-like smell.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Unfortunately, we had a bad experience with the engineer who serviced our AGA so we were on the alert. We are still concerned that we are running an AGA without a working thermostat. We will need to find yet another engineer to finish the job.

I couldn't help but chuckle - I also have a cat litter tray, so I'm familiar with the array of pungent smells that signal that I need to empty it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ahahah. Except that JoJo we discovered was a Scottish Wild cat that had obviously been taken away from her mother and sold to two unsuspected women. When they were assigned to open a school in Asia before the lockdown, the dog made it but not the cat. She is rather magnificent and wild, but too old to go back to the wilderness. The scent of her urine is odd, gas-like. She covers everything up including her food. She likes the heat of the AGA. So she is perhaps getting quite civilized...Thanks for your help, in any event. Best, Celine

You're very brave! A Scottosh Wild cat sounds as scary to me as a pole cat! :-/