Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour,
Experience:  Electronics Technician at KINGSWOOD DOMESTIC APPLIANCE LTD
110699312

I have condensation on bottom of top shelf and sheet ice

Customer Question

I have condensation on bottom of top shelf and sheet ice behind bottom draw- what should I do?
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: hotpoint- 1 year
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried allowing air to circulate and unblocking drain hole. Problem1 month or more- bought fridge freezer march 2020
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 17 days ago.

Greetings and Welcome to JustAnswer.

I am Andrew your Support Technician with over 30 years of experience, it can be very frustrating when electronic devices go wrong but from my experience misconfiguration are usually the problem and they can be quickly resolved with the right advice and assistance. Please allow me a few moments to investigate, I will respond at the earliest either requesting more information or providing further information.

I have investigated the information you have provided and have found If your freezer is frosting over, it may be due to a broken door lid or gasket. If the gasket is damaged, it may be letting warm, moist air inside the freezer, which can result in frost when it comes in contact with the freezing cold surfaces inside.

Simple-to-do strategies to prevent ice build-up in your freezer

1. Keep the freezer inside and away from a hot water heater or furnace.

2. Don't overstock the freezer or leave it too empty. 

3. Break up large packages into smaller, airtight packages. 

4. Limit the amount of time the freezer is open.

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thats not very helpful, i am not an idiot. it is the fridge we have the problem with

I understood it was the Freezer, this can be caused by the fridge being overfilled, preventing air from moving around and keeping the fridge frost-free. If ice builds up, this can stop water from draining out of the fridge. The only way to fix it, is to de-ice the fridge by turning it off and letting the ice melt.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
we have tried declutterering the fridge, unblocking drain hole and hacking out the sheet ice and the fridge is only a year old- perhaps we need to call an engineer- what do you suggest?

If you have already done all of the suggested, I would recommend you contact a local engineer who can investigate the route cause. What is the temp set to for the fridge?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
4C
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Perhaps i should change it to 6?

Keep the refrigerator temperature at or below 40° F (4° C).

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok- i won’t change it

Its set correctly anyhow, I would recommend a local engineer at this stage.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
had out last fridge for 17 years- broke down in covid lockdown so bought this one in a hurry as we were without one - think its just a bit cheap- hotpoint not as good as siemens- you get what you pay for!

Hotpoint are not so bad in my personal experince.