Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd,
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

My stitches will see for a little while then I get large

Customer Question

My stitches will see for a little while then I get large stitches then goes back to small stitches why
JA: What's the brand and model of your sewing machine? How old is it?
Customer: janome 1600p professional
JA: How long has this been going on with your Janome sewing machine? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all day change heddle changed thread
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ive not got the Manuel to check
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I’ve already sent my question
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I am Martyn, welcome to JustAnswer, I am sorry you are having these issues today, it can be frustrating. I am happy to try and help work with you to try to get this resolved if I can.

Try a sharp new needle first (and check it is in correctly, flat side to the rear for modern machines, or as per Manual )... this is often enough to resolve skipped stitches

Did you have a recent Jam ??

Check for rough patches and burrs everywhere the thread passes... use a fine emery board to polish

Tease out a QTip/Cotton bud etc to be a little fluffy, then trace all over the metal and plastic regions and the bobbin case… it will likely catch and show you where the burr is

NOTE : If it is under warranty, do NOT attempt to do too much, lest you void the warranty
If you have had a recent jam, then this suggests timing may be affected

In any event..... here's how to check

Unplug machine and remove all thread

Remove Needleplate, Free Arm and Bobbin Case so you can watch the needle easily

In correct Timing, the needle will be at the lowest point just before the tip of the hook passes behind (to catch the top thread)

If the hook passes too soon or too late, it will need re-timing...

This short VIDEO shows how a stitch is formed… if the hook is not in the correct position, it will not catch the needle thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8CMNzW6Tg

Here is a basics guide to know when and how, and whether it is time to hand it off to a trained Tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsebAKZxmU0

If the needle to hook is out of balance it will never form a stitch
As needle rises, the hook MUST be above the eye approx 1.8mm
Turn slowly by hand and watch the relationship
​Is there any deviation to this balance of needle to hook ??

Service Manual is available.. HERE if you feel the need to DIY this

Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 19 days ago.

If any jam is cleared and you continue to have issues with the stitch formation, it will need to be seen on the bench for assessment and probably re-timing

Check the Needle is inserted correctly… if not, it will miss stitches

Timing is not really something I would advise for the untrained, even if you did have a Service Manual to guide you unfortunately... it can all go very wrong too easily

There will always be occasions where a jam, diagnosis or adjustment is beyond the capacity of the home user to see and clear, or is simply dangerous for the untrained

This will need the services of a trained Tech to resolve for you I am afraid to say

I understand it is not necessarily the answer you had hoped for, however, you would thank me less if it all went wrong and cost more time and money to resolve. I hope you appreciate this.

(Service every 2 years is advised, more often if used commercially)

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, unfortunately I cannot train you to be a Technician in a few dozen words via an online chat room.

Best Wishes