Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Ryonbi OLM1833B which is marvellous to use but it

Customer Question

I have a Ryonbi OLM1833B which is marvellous to use but it keeps stopping while I am using it, as if the battery does not have any charge, which it definitely has. It is also very difficult to start, which I think is part of the same problem.
JA: How old is your Ryobi appliance?
Customer: 2 years or so!
JA: How long has this been going on with your Ryobi appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It was a gift from my sister in law. She used it but it was to small for her large garden, so I am not sure when she bought it. However it did come looking new so it didn’t get much use.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have tried making sure the battery is well fitted and clicked into place.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

When it stops, during use, how do you get it going again? Do you wait, or do you charge the battery? And for how long does it run each time?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The time it works varies and the number of times it takes to get it started varies as well. Sometimes it starts on the first attempt, other times, like this morning I just can’t get it started. Although I cut a bit, it stopped and now won’t start again!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Stop this phone call! I do not want to pay £16
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

I suspect that your gut feel about the battery is correct.

Most people (including me) struggle to give rechargeable batteries their 'best life', because it means having a plan to avoids periods of storing with a low charge. Also avoiding overcharging. So, being of unknown age, and a seasonal machine, increases the probability that the battery is reaching the end of its life. However, there are some useful tips on the following page:

https://applianceanalysts.com/fix-ryobi-battery/

If you can't improve the performance of this battery, then I recommend you buy a new one - replacements are widely available, in different capacities.

Some useful information on increasing battery lifespan is on the following web site:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries