drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

We have siemens upright freezer which seems to have stopped

Customer Question

We have siemens upright freezer which seems to have stopped working, the alarm is beeping continuously and cant be switched off. We didnt buy the appliance, it was in the house when we moved in last November. The food is still frozen but only at the bottom of the freezer.
JA: Do you know the model of your Siemens freezer? How old is it?
Customer: The model number is ***** I have no idea how old it is
JA: How long has this been going on with your Siemens freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The defrosting has been going on for around 2 weeks but the alarm has just started today
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I dont think so, there looks to be a slight bend in the door seal, which we pushed together when we first moved in. Sorry I dont have any further info, the appliance was in the home when we bought it.
Expert:  drcool299 replied 14 days ago.

Hello…I am Francis and I have been a filed service technician for the past 31 years servicing all kinds of branded appliances. I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your unit.

Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer lower back wall? You may have to remove some food in the freezer to actually see the lower back wall inside the freezer.

Do you notice air coming out of the freezer vents?

If the fan is not running, try to find a door switch in the freezer, please press it so that the fan may run.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is no ice on the lower back wall, there is cool air coming out of the vent at the bottom of the freezer and I can hear the freezer working so Im presuming that the fan is running.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can see that the freezer is defrosting because it looks likes the freezer walls are condensing
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
there is also a mixture of cool and warm air coming out of the vent
Expert:  drcool299 replied 14 days ago.

If the freezer is defrosting, the fan inside should not be running nor the fan at the back, if it has one.

Is the "Bottom of the freezer" inside the freezer or outside, at the bottom of the unit, near the floor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is inside
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the freezer is in an intergrated unit
Expert:  drcool299 replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for that info.

The lower vent is the return vent or the suction vent where air goes in the back wall, passes thru the evaporator coil and would come out at the upper vents which is the outlet vents of cold air that passes from the evaporator coil.

If the side walls are having water condensate on them, it would only mean that the freezer is no longer cooling.

Can you remove the back wall inside the freezer so we can see the evaporator coil?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Im not sure I could do that, there is a small vent at the top of the back wall and there doesnt seem to be anything coming out of there, is it time to try and find a refrigeration engineer to take a look?
Expert:  drcool299 replied 14 days ago.

If there is no air coming out of the top vent, then either the fan is not running, or the evaporator coil could be blocked with ice that is why the fan cannot sucked any air to blow it out to the top vent.

If you cannot remove the back wall inside the freezer, I would recommend calling the refrigeration engineer to help you remove that as well as for your own safety.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok, thank you
Expert:  drcool299 replied 14 days ago.

You’re very much welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Please stay safe.