Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an AEG competence oven which is giving off a strange

I have an AEG competence oven which is giving off a strange odour. It appears to be coming from either the back or the sides of the unit. No amount of cleaning, or using the self cleaning mode helps
JA: Is your AEG oven gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: electric And about two years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your AEG oven? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well I noticed the smell about two months ago but thought it was the microwave close by - further investigation has narrowed it down to the oven. I’ve run the self cleaning option several times, I’ve used lemons in there and also white vinegar to try and run something to deodorise the smell but no help
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no don’t think so, it’s totally clean inside - and wasn’t dirty in the first place so really confused

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

My first two thoughts about possible causes are that either something has spilled from above the oven, leaving a residue, or there's a dead rodent. Another possibility is anh overheated electrical terminal. All of these things will need the oven to be withdrawn from its enclosure in order to investigate.

Does the smell occur only when you use the oven, or all the time?
Can you describe or characterise the smell?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Tim all sorted Thankyou - grease had run under the hob then ontop and down the back of the oven - some grease had accumulated inside the back lip of the unit but mainly under a void/ shelf area which the oven sits on top of. Not sure how but the hob is being replaced anyway due to a fault on it.

Good work! I'm glad you found it :-)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thankyou! Such a relief

:-)