KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

I have an issue with my washing machine that I can't fix...

I have an issue with my washing machine that I can't fix... I have replaced the door handle as it was broke and we couldnt open the machine... so I used a screwdriver to push the door lock out from the inside... which got the door open... I replaced the handle, put the door back on, but it wouldn't lock. So, I ordered a new lock and have just fitted it, but its still the same, it won't lock...
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My model number is ***** WM74145W btw

Good afternoon,

You have reached Justanswer UK, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

As the lock is already replaced, I am afraid the door lock triac on control board is faulty and will need replacement.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What does that mean and how can I replace that...?

You will have to replace the control board.

However, you may try this:

Unplug it and then remove the top off the appliance.

Then check the control board, remove the wires (one at a time) then reconnect them back.

If the issue is still there then you will have to replace it.

I hope this helps, please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with Justanswer UK today.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
how can that happen, as it was,all mechanical/physical, the door handle was snapped and that was the reason it was not opening... So I physically forced the pin through with a screwdriver, from the inside... but everything was switched off at the mains...
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is the control board behind the front controls in the middle...?

The door lock is already replaced, the wiring from lock to control seems to be fine.

So, it seems the control was faulty which caused this issue.

Yes, that is correct.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, I will try that and let you know what happens, thanks

I am glad, I could help.

You're welcome and Good Luck.

Cheers

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do the wires come off, they are quite tight...?

If they are tight then you may see a connector which can be pulled out and installed back again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Kevin, where is the best place to buy the control board from please...?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also, a quick question when it's working normally the lock works even when the machine is switched off... looking at the lock, it is a plastic lock that come across and engages the metal pin... under normal circumstances is that plastic half way across and is that how the pin engages...?

Please click here, this is the correct door lock and it is not just plastic.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Morning Kevin,I am atcthe end of my tether, I have fitted a new handle, a new lock and now a brand new PCB module and it still won't lock... Have you any ideas as to what else it could be... When I press the handle, it springs back, which is correct and how it should be... The lock just won't engage...

Good morning, have you checked the wiring harness between the control board and the lock ?

I mean that is the only thing that remains to be changed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have and there are no breaks Kevin
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is the lock I have fitted, it's exactly the same as the one that came out
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
here's the other side of it

OK, as this was an old question posted 5 days ago I just read everything again.

Door lock, wiring and power board is already replaced and you replaced the door handle as well earlier.

This looks more like a mechanical issue then electrical, what about the door hinges and door, is it properly aligned ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Shall I take the door off again and recheck it... I put the handle in and there's pressure when you press the handle, so the spring is aligned, as it flicks back... I put the two screws back in to put the door back on, so I don't know what else there is to do... I'll recheck it. Should the lock be engaged though... or does it stay in the open position until the machine goes on...? Its like it's not catching when you close the door, I have tried lifting it slightly, but still no joy

When you close the door it should catch and door should close, the lock should engage.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah it's not doing that at all
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have changed everything, so it has to be mechanical now right... Is there anything I should know about the alignment of the door, specifically...?

Yes the control board may have been absolutely fine so you can return that part and try replacing the hinge.

Please check this IMAGE (part#14 is the hinge support and part#16 is the hinge).

Alternatively, you may contact Beko to book repair.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I just check that I have got the door pecker facing the right way, see attached pic...?

Yes, it is.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There's no pressure on the spring, I can move it freely... but when I press the handle it pulls it over... should the pecker unit be hard to push over...?

No, pecker should not be hard as it locks when it goes inside the door lock.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well, I have just tested the lock with a hook nose screwdriver and the machine started, so it's definitely 100% not electrical...
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This was with my old lock and PCB in, so it's always been mechanical

I understand, you can return those parts.

Usually these mechanical issues occur if someone fells on the door or if too much weight is put on the door etc.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No one has fallen on the door that I am aware of... This is the sequence of events, as they happened: 1. The door jammed, we believe it was because of the broken door handle (plastic snapped), so from the inside I pushed the pin out... 2. I replaced the door handle and tried it, but it wouldn't catch and you know the rest

I am not saying you fell on the door, I was providing you usual information.

Anyhow, you will have to check the hinge and support then try again.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok, doing that now, but the latch unit looks ok to you, from the video yeah
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have just tried something and this is what happened. The machine started with the door open and the lock was not engaged. What does that mean...?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it's basically working and running the cycle, with the door wide open now

Sorry was away from my desk when you sent that message.

Yes latch unit is fine, the machine started working because you may have bypassed the door lock.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How has it been bypassed though, because everything is back as it should be...

I am not in front of the machine so you should check what you have done different that it is bypassed when the door is still not closed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What would cause this to happen unde normal circumstances...? Ie. What part would be faulty...?

Sorry, I do not understand your question.

I already told you if door lock is bypassed control will start the program.

You have already replaced everything and plugged it back.

What have you done differently this time ?

I recommend that you call a service engineer and let them visually inspect everything and replace/repair the part that is faulty.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have just swapped the lock units over, for the new one and it's now not doing what it was, working without the door closed... so the lock is working correctly... it just won't latch.. So, I have actually called a service engineer already and am waiting for a call back now

OK Perfect.

Cheers

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We tried...

Indeed :)

I still believe something is wrong with both electrics and mechanical issue is there as well.

Anyways, Good Luck.