KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a hot point fridge freezer. Following a power cut

Hi we have a hot point fridge freezer. Following a power cut the super cool and super freeze lights continue to flash. We have switched off and defrosted the freezer a couple of times but this is not correcting the problem - any ideas. Thanks
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?
Customer: Model FSFL 1810 Hotpoint
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The lights have flashed for 2 months - it then started making a noise about 5 weeks ago as it was freezing up so we defrosted it. This lasts about a week then we have to remove back panel and do it again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: only it happened after a power cut which lasted about 2-3 hours but didn’t open the doors on the appliance

Good evening,

You have reached Justanswer UK, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

If you don’t mind, please allow me a few minutes to check its schematics and then type the answer.

In the meantime, if you want to add something please feel free to add and I will read it while I am typing my response.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with justanswer.co.uk today.

Have a wonderful evening.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We have done that already - emptied it and left unplugged for 4 days. When we switched back on lights continue to flash and after several days issue repeats itself
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What cost would we be looking at for the test replace option (noting appliance is 6 years old now)

OK then I am afraid the thermostat is faulty and will need replacement.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry - can’t see your reply
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Now I can see it :-)

The cost of repair will be around £38 + repair charges.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok - thank you. Will discuss and decide what course of action to take. Thanks for your help, it’s appreciated

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers

You are very welcome and Good Luck.

Cheers

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you :-) Have a good evening

No problem.

You too have a good evening.