KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a 2yr old tall freestanding frost free freezer in

Customer Question

We have a 2yr old tall freestanding frost free freezer in our garage; it has been making a loud diesel sounding noise for a couple of weeks. The sound sometimes cuts out but comes back. The temperature seems to be steady at -18. What might be causing the noise?
JA: What's the brand and model of your freezer?
Customer: Sorry ... it's Hotpoint, but I can't see a model number anywhere
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint freezer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been making a noise for at least a week. Rearranged the food inside, it's full but the door closes easily.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can't think of anything that's changed.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 8 days ago.

Good day,

You have reached Justanswer UK, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

If you don’t mind, please allow me a few minutes to check its schematics and then type the answer.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

The noise that you hear could be coming from fan hitting ice inside the rear wall.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

I hope you enjoyed your experience with Justanswer UK today.

Have a wonderful day.