KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My Samsung RFGU23 fridge/freezer ice maker has stopped

Customer Question

My Samsung RFGU23 fridge/freezer ice maker has stopped working. This was preceded by the fridge making a intermittent sighing type sound
JA: How long have you had your RFGU23?
Customer: About 8 to 9 years
JA: What have you tried so far with your Samsung product?
Customer: I have removed he ice maker to make sure it was not blocked and switched the child lock on/off.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am going to turn the whole fridge freezer off at the mains and I will come back in a few minutes
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have switched the fridge freezer on/off and it is still not working, but the intermittent sighing sound has restarted
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 13 days ago.

Good morning,

You have reached Justanswer UK, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches experts in various skills to customers.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your appliance.

I understand how frustrating that can be.

If you don’t mind, please allow me a few minutes to check its schematics and then type the answer.

Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 12 days ago.

Good day,

These issues are usually caused due to faulty auger motor inside the ice maker that will need replacement.

However, before you replace it, please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the motor will need replacement.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

I hope you enjoyed your experience with Justanswer UK today.

Have a wonderful day.