Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

For some time now, my Panasonic TV has been turning itself

Hi Pearl, for some time now, my Panasonic TV has been turning itself off for no reason. I watch it through my Sky box and it happens most often when I'm watching a programme I've recorded or is on netflix or BBC player. To fix it, I used to turn off the sky box and tv at the mains for a few seconds, then turn them on again. Often, the tv would cut out again during the 'firing up' process - sometimes several times. I've discovered that I can fix it more easily simply by pulling out the power lead from the tv then reinserting it. The tv comes back to life and I carry on.....until the next time. This might happen once in an evening if I'm lucky or several times.
JA: Do you know the model of your Panasonic appliance? How old is it?
Customer: It's a Pana Tx-132e6b Led Fhd and I bought it in August 2013.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Panasonic appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's probably bee happening for over a year now! At first, I thought it might be the sky box, so got a new one, but it still happens.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's everything. Is it reasonable to expect my tv to last for more than 7 years?

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

It's not necessarily a TV fault, but of course it could be.

For example, if your arrangement of power leads is such that the voltage to the TV dips when you're powering other units, then it could explain the behaviour. It's worth plugging the TV directly into a socket outlet in the wall, instead of sharing a multi-socket thingy, as most of us do. If you still get the problem after that then it's likely to be a faulty power board in the TV. These are replaceable.

As for your question about TV longevity, we live in a disposable age where mass-manufactured products are cheap, and repair is relatively expensive. It really is a lottery as to how long equipment lasts.

If this doesn't answer your question, please come back to me.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. I'll try plugging the tv directly into a socket as you suggest - simple and practical thing to try before shelling out for a new tv!

Definitely! :-)

Thank you for your rating.  If you need further assistance in the future you can reach out to me via JustAnswer.
Have a good weekend!