Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

The bulb has gone in our grill and I can’t seem to unscrew

Hi, the bulb has gone in our grill and I can’t seem to unscrew the cover. I’m afraid if I use too much force I’ll break it.
JA: What's the brand and model of your lighting? How old is it?
Customer: Hotpoint, ###-##-#### bought in 2014
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hotpoint lighting? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve tried to unscrew the cover but it barely moves
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the lamp blew after we accidentally used grill mode instead of oven mode and shut the door. It’s the top oven.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Please could you attach a photo of the screw and cover that you're trying to remove?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (2T3V6ZQ)
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Did you get that?

Ah, yes, these can be a nuisance.

There are tools that grip the lamp cover, but these aren't always effective. Something I find that works quite well is this:

Wrap a 3-4 layers of duct tape around the lamp cover, making sure it sticks down well. Then use locking jaw pliers (aka mole grips) with curved jaws to grip as firmly as possible without fracturing the glass. Then you can apply a consistent turning force without needing much strength, because the moment of the force (aka the leverage) is much greater. Some people use pump pliers instead, but that makes me nervous because it's more difficult to apply a gripping force without crushing the thing that you're gripping.

If this doesn't answer your question, please come back to me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That worked! Brilliant!!I have another question: when we turn on the oven, there is the normal silence, then there is 15-30 seconds of loud banging (the fan hitting something?) then it settles down to normal again. Anything I can do to fix it?

Hurrah!! :-)

Regarding the banging, if it's the "fan oven" fan then I've encountered this a few times, and found that it's caused by hardened bumps of grease on the read of the element cover. It's usually fairly easy to remove the cover, by removing a handful of screws, and then you can clean the read of it.

Or, it's a problem with the cooling fan, which is mounted outside the cavity. This fan, or indeed either fan, could have a worn bearing that has more play in it when cold.

Thank you for your rating.  If you need further assistance in the future you can reach out to me via JustAnswer.
Have a good weekend!