Tim JA
Tim JA, Customer Service
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Zanussi induction hob ZFN 844K It has a perfect

Hi I have a Zanussi induction hob ZFN 844K It has a perfect edge for setting flush with granite (which we have always done before with hobs) However- the spec says you can’t set this one flush?? Do you know why and is there any way round it? Are they just covering themselves? Thanks
JA: Is your Zanussi hob gas or electric? How old is it?
Customer: Brand new- induction ZFN 844K
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi hob? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is new- in the box waiting to be fitted once granite is cut.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just want to know what it is about that model that makes them say you can’t set it flush with the worktop

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Does the installation information specifically state that you must not flush mount the hob? Or are you interpreting the diagrams and inferring from the lack of one showing a flush installation that you shouldn't do it?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the technical info states it isn’t suitable for flush mounting (I’ll send you a screen shot - sadly it’s in French though!) Basically - it looks totally as if flush would be fine- no bevel/rim etc We we’re wondering whether it was just them being extra cautious as it’s a five ring not a four ring hob?? We’d be prepared to take the risk if tgat was the case but need to know if there’s an actual physical reason why it can’t be flush. It looks exactly like others we’ve set flush in the past

As long as you arrange to have the same overlap as shown in the diagram in the installation manual, so that the glass top is supported exactly how it would be if sitting on the countertop, I can't imagine a reason for rebating it.

I'd like to see the manual page that you have though!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Tim- unfortunately I am at the theatre and the play is about to start. Will I be able to continue this conversation later or tomorrow or will it automatically close?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (G6Z76L7)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry it’s French - it just says that it’s not intended for flush fitting!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s half time - sorry to miss your call.

Google's translation of that is "Suitable for standard recessing, not for flush installation", so exactly as you said earlier.

I can't find a manual for the "ZFN 844K", but the "ZITN844K" is also an induction hob, and the diagrams in the manual for the latter also don't illustrate a flush installation. However, it doesn't discourage flush fitting with any words, in the way that your spec sheet does.

Where did you buy the hob?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Tim- I’m sorry about last night and being off the radar! We bought the hob from Marks Electrical

Morning!

No problem about last night - the pace of this can be as slow as you need, and the topic will stay open :-)

I cannot find the ZFN 844K on the Marks Electrical site, not anywhere else, so that's something of a mystery. However, I think my advice would be the same - you need to contact Zanussi directly and ask them the plain question. If I were the installer, my own judgement would be to go ahead and rebate it, as I would be responsible for the outcome, but you can't coerce your installer (unless it's you) to do that!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If

I think some of your most recent post is missing :-/

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Tim- I’ve tried once again (as you suggested) to contact Zanussi and am awaiting a response. This is the first time I have used just answer and had no idea how it worked. Do I have to pay £16 for a call even though we never had one? That seems a bit weird? Can you cancel for me? Thanks

Hi, no you don't have to pay for a service that you don't use.

You should find Customer Service very helpful - you can contact them at the following page: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! They have cancelled it! Fingers crossed I hear back from Zanussi- I will keep you updated!

That's good.
Please do let me know what Zanussii says! :-)

Thank you for your rating.  If you need further assistance in the future you can reach out to me via JustAnswer.
Have a good weekend!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Tim- we eventually managed to speak to Zanussi yesterday! Apparently they say that in case your worktop isn’t stable enough to support it! Weird -but I guess stone is pretty stable so we are going to go for it!

Well done for your persistence. That's a very odd way of expressing the risk - they could just state clearly what the issue is. I'll email them and suggest that.

Good luck with your rebating!