KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We are having trouble installing a new Bosch dishwasher

Customer Question

We are having trouble installing a new Bosch dishwasher (SMS2HVI66G)...First time running it threw up error message E:61-03; 'Water is not drained'.Waste hose is attached to spigot from sink waste, before U-bend. Goes up before it goes back down.Drained machine out by hand, cleaned out around the impeller, just a few tiny bits of food that should be no problem, ran it again but no luck...Cleaned out whole sink drainage system, which was draining OK, but did find the traditional hair ball, so got rid of that, still no luck....I pulled waste hose out of spigot in hope of some water coming out into a bucket... but nothing....Observed then that there's a little valve type thing in the end of the waste hose where it connects to the spigot, which I assume is there to resist backflow going into the machine, but don't know....Anyway, at that point (still only just after running) I came to realise that the waste pipe wasn't even getting warm, though of course the water it's meant to be draining out is pretty hot, so can only reckon the water isn't even coming out of the machine into the hose??Does this mean almost certain to be faulty machine, or is there some other potential installation fault.Thanks!
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Bosch dishwasher.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

As you already know this is drain fault, you should check for blockage in the U bend.

Please only try the following advise, if you do not have warranty on your appliance, if it is under 2 years old then please contact Bosch and get it repaired under warranty.

If U-bend is clean then unplug and pull the appliance out, then lay it on its back and access the hose that connects sump to the drain pump.

Clean it and make sure nothing is clogged.

Then try again however, if the issue appears again, you will have to replace the drain pump.

Alternatively, you may call Bosch at 03448 928 979 to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi there - thanks but we already cleaned out the U pump, as mentioned. Also as mentioned, the dishwasher is new - we are trying to plump it in as a new appliance. We would not therefore remove the hose to the sump - as this I am sure would invalidate the warranty. What we are trying to ascertain is: is this an issue with the plumbing - or more likely a fault in the machine? Can you give us a steer on that? That way we know whether we are best off getting a plumber in - or getting Bosch to come out and check the machine...

I understand.

If it was professionally installed including the drain hose etc. then I am afraid, this indicates drain pump is faulty and will need replacement.

You have already checked, the drain and water is not draining hence, this indicates a faulty with the drain pump.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok thanks. To be clear, we did not have it installed professionally.... we have been doing the installation ourselves, as described, and tried all the avenues mentioned... But from what you say it sounds as though we have tried everything we could and that it is likely to be a drain pump issue....

Yes, that is correct, if you have followed the instructions and everything is correctly installed then I am afraid, this is drain issue and you will have to contact Bosch to book in warranty repair.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK thank you for your help - much appreciated.

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. I would do as you say re favourite - but afraid we don't plan to stay on the system --- we just did this as a one-off...... But you have helped, thank you. Wishing you a lovely day - enjoy the sunshine! Sophie

You are very welcome Sophie.

You too have a lovely weekend.