KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a Zanussi Lindo 300 9kg machine, purchased on

Customer Question

We have a Zanussi Lindo 300 9kg machine, purchased on 9/11/2020. There is only the two of us, and the machine is used around twice a week when we are here. Yesterday, during the spin cycle of a 9kg white cottons load of bedding - the type of wash we do regularly without incident - it started to smoke and smell of burning. It was still doing this after we unloaded the machine after switching it off so that the utility door to the outside had to be left open for some time. I realise that we are out of warranty but what can we do about this? 18 months is an unacceptable period of time for a Which magazine recommended Best Buy to fail and have to be repaired at our expense, and especially when it was on fire.
JA: Is your Zanussi washer top or front loading?
Customer: Front loading.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Zanussi washer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It started yesterday as I said in the second sentence of my message
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything other than I did register the machine with you as part of the guarantee process. I am very disappointed that this has happened because my last Zanussi front loader, purchased in 2004, was a very reliable machine and dealt with three person's washing including heavy work clothing used on contaminated sites. This was why we felt happy to buy another Zanussi but we are not so sure now.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 17 days ago.

Good day and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Zanussi washing machine.

Please provide its complete model number and/or PNC number (starts with 9...). 

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ZWF91283W

Thank you for the model number.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

OK, let's see if we can get an error code.

Please try this:

Press and hold the START button and button towards the left of it together.

Keep them held in and after a few seconds you will see E.. ??

Please let me know the error code.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
NO

No ?

Is that the error code, because that is incorrect ?

Good day,

Without the information requested in my previous response, I can only give you a general answer however, I hope this helps.

This indicates either the drum belt has snapped, the motor and/or motor capacitor is faulty and will need replacement.

Please try this to solve the issue:

You will have to unplug the appliance and pull it out, then remove the top off the appliance.

After it is removed, check if drum belt is intact, if that is fine then plug it back. Now, keep your hands off electrics and select any program, if drum will not tumble give it a bit of push with your hand.

If it starts working then motor capacitor is faulty however, if it will not start rotating then motor is faulty and will need replacement.

Alternatively, you may call Zanussi at 03445 610 645 to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
this system doesn't seem to be working very well. I replied no to the offer to switch to live phone call and I haven't received any further messages on this feed. However your replies are coming up on my junk email so I see you asked for an error code. Doesn't this involve switching the machine on again? Is that a good idea given it was on fire yesterday?
I understand, if you do not want to check the error code then please contact Zanussi and get it repaired.

The motor may be faulty and will need replacement.