KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We were away the other night and when we came late night

Customer Question

Hi we were away the other night and when we came late night home we did not notice that the fridge /freezer alarm light was warning. we are both deaf and we just went to sleep this morning i noticed the light and checked the freezer and things seems to thaw and some smells coming out. can someone come urgent and see if it is something repairable My gut tells me that a new gas but i am not a technician
JA: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?
Customer: i need to check i cannot remember please allow me a few minutes to check
JA: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: first it is a Hotpoint large one dont know the other specific i noticed it half an hour ago we were away from Sunday morning and came late last night. when i discovered it i looked on line to see what to do and it advised to reset it at the top. that is what i did and the red and blue light turned to blue only byt my gut telling me that the gas escaped.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i am not a technician so i don't know if blue light means that all ok or not, This morning I noticed pile of dust outside the freezer and was embarrassed that i had so much dust that is when i was concern. i keep the dust for technician to see then i start thinking that when the gas escame it must have blown the dust from underneath the freezer
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sorry i dont know what i am waiting for it was the same last time as a deaf person i dont know if someone speaking or what is happening now?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
how long do i have to wait? i have patience but i dont know what is hppening
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thanks
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 15 days ago.

Good morning and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Hotpoint Fridge Freezer.

Please provide its complete model number (from the label/rating plate located behind the vegetable drawer).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My husband is not at home and i am not tech wiz. where can i find this information?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am a Deaf person have to use typing

I understand.

You can find it on the label/rating plate located behind the vegetable drawer.

I am happy to help this way.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i will go down and gave a look

OK.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It seems that what i did earlier with the lights worked because the fridge /freezer is working again and it a very cold there now. i am so proud of myself. so let forget it now ok?

Glad it is sorted :)

The reset should have worked however, if the issue appears again, then please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i will remember that. Many many thanks you did make me confident now many many thanks

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.