James
James, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I bought a touchy TV 58 inch brand-new from Argos 17 months

Hi I bought a touchy TV 58 inch brand-new from Argos 17 months ago from my mum and dad are an
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance?
Customer: it’s in a Hitachi 58 inch it is literally 17 months old
JA: How long has this been going on with your Hitachi appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve unplugged it re-plugged it back in and checked all the wires and it’s still doing the same thing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I’m just very disappointed because it’s 17 months old This TV cost me nearly £500

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** a technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today. Sorry to hear your having issues, please stand by while I look into the problem for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.

Hitachi TV are budget brands so do tend to have problems on into their life, what appears to be the issue with the TV and what is the model number?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The screen has all these lines over it
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Model number

Thanks you for the model number (58HK6100U) Right those lines suggest the panel has failed, often associated where the screen has been impacted or twisted in some way, as the lines are caused where contacts controlling the pixels lose connection.

As such it suggests a new panel (screen) is required, and that would make the Tv beyond economical repair since a panel costs as much as the TV.

As its less than 2 years old I would contact the credit card company you used to purchase it to see if they can arrange a charge back, since the TV should not fail when its only a couple of years old

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you are happy for the question to be closed there is no need to reply (as this will reopen the question), however do let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I brought this tv on my debit card Christmas 2020 should I contact my bank then

You can try but if paid by debit card its unlikely they will offer the same protection as a credit card.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks never buy hitachi again

I might try and write to them, if you threaten to take them to court of sale of good act, or maybe consult with citizens advice before contacting them, since you have an expectation the goods should last more than 2 years based on fair usage.

Hitachi can be contacted by going here