KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

We have a John Lewis Washer Dryer JLWD which has been

we have a John Lewis Washer Dryer JLWD which has been smelling a bit damp. i opened the lint filter and found it clean but a lot of water (maybe 3-400ml) drained out. We dried it and cleaned it and tried a washing cycle with no load. Checking the filter again, it again had a lot of water draining from it.
JA: Who makes your washer-dryer? How old is it?
Customer: John lewis (but i think an electrolux model) 9 years.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Electrolux washer-dryer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it has melled for about 10 day. i opened the lint filter and found it clean but a lot of water (maybe 3-400ml) drained out. We dried it and cleaned it and tried a washing cycle with no load. Checking the filter again, it again had a lot of water draining from it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer for only £5 (fully-refundable). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.

Good afternoon and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your John Lewis Washer Dryer.

Please provide its PNC number (starts with 9...) and/or complete model number (from the label/rating plate located inside the door).

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i;d rather get an initial response first to see if it is worth pursuing, thanks

Thank you for the PNC number.

The only issue is damp smell and clothes come out clean and dry, is that correct ?

The automated phone call message is optional and premium service.

Sorry, I am not available for phone calls, and I am happy to help this way.

However, if you opt for phone call then another expert will call you based on their availability.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
the clothes are fine (we don't use the dryer), but the amount of water draining from the lint filter is surely an issue?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thanks, ***** *****;t opt for the call

OK, these issues are caused if the drain is clogged or if there is gunk in the filter (which you have already cleaned).

Please try this:

You will have to unplug the appliance and take a dry cloth, wipe inside the door, and clean the door seal.

After the cleaning is done, reconnect everything and plug it back.

Then use 2 scoops of detergent (1 in drawer and 1 in drum) and select an empty wash cycle on its hottest setting.

Please let it complete and then wait for around 1 hour before opening the door.

Now, after one hour unplug it again and then clean the drain pump filter located at the bottom front of appliance and clean the drum and door seal again.

If you have ground coffee (you may pour it in a bowl/cup) and leave it for one day inside the drum.

Then next day after all this is done select another empty wash cycle on its hottest setting with washing machine descaler or detergent.

Let this complete then, leave it unplugged few hours this time with door open.

The problem should be resolved now and there should not be any smell.

However, after all this, if the issue appears again and lots of water drains off from the drain filter then I am afraid, the water inlet valve and/or pressure switch may need replacement.

Alternatively, you may call Electrolux at 03445 613 613 to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thanks. that is kind of what we have just done but didn't leave it for a day. it does seem to be the water resting in the well after the wash that it causing the smell

I understand, water filling too much may also cause these issues.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thanks, we'll try it again and then call the service number if needed thereafter. thanks for your help

You're welcome and Good Luck.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.