KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  18+ years experience as Appliance Tech.
70193065

My LG American Side by Side Fridge Freezer has stopped

Customer Question

Good morning, my LG American Side by Side Fridge Freezer has stopped chilling, there is power to it and its making all the correct noises.. but that's about all its doing? Any ideas? Thank you so much
JA: How old is your LG fridge? Does the noise get louder or softer when changing the temperature setting?
Customer: I cant remember exactly but around 6 yrs... and no the noises dont change when changing the Temp Settings
JA: How long has this been going on with your LG refrigerator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I only noticed last night that the freezer compartment had stopped freezing...im not sure exactly when it stopped working. I have tried unplugging it, leaving it a few minutes and then plugging back in again...thats all so far
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thats everything
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 18 days ago.

Good morning and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your LG American Fridge Freezer.

Please provide its complete model number.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
There is a sticker on the side which shows GWB227YUQA, there are numbers underneath but unsure if part of the model number
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m not currently at home, I’m at work…

Thank you for the model number.

Please allow few minutes while I check its schematics and then type the answer.

This indicates temperature issue and/or an air flow problem due to heavy ice build-up inside the rear wall of the appliance.

Please try this to solve the issue:

Leave it unplugged and empty with door open for around 12-24 hours.

Then plug it back (expect some water on the floor) and wait for another 4-8 hours so it gets back to optimum temperature.

The problem should be resolved.

However, if the issue appears again then the problem is with defrost operation.

You will have to test/replace the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element to resolve the issue.

Alternatively, you may call LG at 0344(###) ###-####to book repair.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
As the freezer compartment is fully defrosted, would that not indicate that any other ice build up would have defrosted also? Thanks

The ice build can be seen after you remove the drawers and then remove the rear panel, then you will see the evaporator and top of it is the temperature sensor.

If you have already followed above advise and the issue is still not resolved then I am afraid, the temperature sensor and/or defrost heater element is faulty and will need replacement.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.

You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.

Have a wonderful day.