Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years Experience!
110699312

We recently refurbished our kitchen and bought a new cooker

Hi there! We recently refurbished our kitchen and bought a new cooker from Currys but our builder says it is too powerful for the existing electric setup in our flat and requires a 32A socket to be installed to extend the system. My question is roughly how much would this cost to do, and whether there is an alternative such as simply buying a less powerful cooker? The previous tenants had a fully working cooker but I don't know which type. Please advise. Thanks!
JA: Who makes your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: It is a brand new Beko cooker from Currys, bought only last month
JA: How long has this been going on with your Beko appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We haven't done anything yet, it has not been installed because the builder said we need a 32A socket to be put in before we can use the cooker
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No that's it! I just need some advice on whether we can just get a less powerful cooker as this is simpler, or how much it would cost to get the new cooker installed with the 32A socket we need

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.co.uk

I would like to start by introducing myself, I am Andrew, one of the many experts on JustAnswer.co.uk with over 30 years of experience! I know it can be frustrating when electronics go wrong but from my experience, misconfiguration is usually the most common reason and with the right advice and guidance you can be sure to have them addressed. Please allow me a few moments to investigate the information you have logged with us today so that I can provide you with the information you need to have this matter addressed

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Andrew!

I have investigated the information you have provided and it sounds like you have a query relating to a cooker which has not been installed due to an incorrect isolated switched installed. I would suggest as you require a 32Amp socket you will need to consult an electrician who can install this for you, the plate itself costs no more than £20.00 pounds but you will likely find the cost for the service of having it fitted it more expensive. I would be able to give you a price on the installation as it varies and really depends on what the electrician rate is. I would recommend you call a few services locally to get an idea and then take it from there and to do so, please see the instructions I have attached below.

1. Go to - Yell.com
  2. Enter Electrician in the search field. 
  3. In the location search, enter your postal code for local results. 
  4. Lastly, call the services and book one that fits your budget. 

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks Andrew I have followed your steps and booked and electrician call out

No Trouble, always here to help.