drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 28 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

Does a broken door on a drier cause it to stop all the time,

Customer Question

Does a broken door on a drier cause it to stop all the time
JA: What's the brand and model of your dryer? How old is it?
Customer: It is an Aerosense around 7 or 8 years old - not sure
JA: How long has this been going on with your dryer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We had it repaired around a year ago but this problem started around 5 weeks ago. My son pointed out that the door is cracked by the hinge. It does go for a while and then stops.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. I just want to know if the crack can cause the drier to stop. I don't want to pay a service man to come out and tell me that it is not able to be repaired.
Expert:  drcool299 replied 18 days ago.

I am Francis, and welcome to Just Answer. I have been a field service technician for the past 31 years servicing all kinds of branded appliances. I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your unit.

Yes, an open door would stop a drier from working. It is a safety feature. The door should be closed tightly before it would let the drier run. The door , if closed tightly, would close a switch that would tell the control that the door is close and would let the unit run.