canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My dishwasher has started beeping with a 188 code, kenwood,

Customer Question

My dishwasher has started beeping with a 188 code
JA: What's the brand and model of your dishwasher? How old is it?
Customer: kenwood
JA: How long has this been going on with your Kenwood dishwasher? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had it 1 /1/2 years and this started yesterday. Switch it on and off then start it back up and it will only run for a few minutes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all drains and water feed is all clear and running fine
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the repair field for over 20 years. I am sorry you are having issues with your Kenwood dishwasher. I will be glad to help you today.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your appliance professionally repaired or if you can manage the repair yourself. However, sometimes it takes me time to type out a more extended response; please be patient!

The issue may very well be with your circuit board. There are components on the circuit board that is called “capacitors.” They store power to start up different parts. A power surge will cause capacitor failure.

A capacitor failure is pretty easy to diagnose by visually inspecting the board. A capacitor that is not entirely flat on top is a failed capacitor. A failed capacitor does not transfer power, so the appliance does not come on.

Most repair technicians will not just replace the capacitor on the board and will instead replace the whole board.

Suppose you frequently have power outages or power surges. In that case, I recommend having surge protection devices or surge protection outlets installed to protect any electronics in your home.

Please let me know if my solution worked for you, and we can continue to work together if you need further suggestions.

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi there, we have had power cuts . Do you recommend a new board to be ordered up ?
It runs water it drains but on a cycle it runs no more that 5 mins before beeping with an F9 118 code

Are you planning on repairing it yourself?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am

If I were the acting technician, there would be a preparation process.

• When I prepare for a service call, the first step is to contact the manufacturer for any documentation, such as service documents and diagrams. Since you are the acting servicer, I suggest following this same process.

You can order a replacement circuit board from any local appliance parts supplier using the model number. 

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Excellent thank you

You are very welcome.

Please contact me if anything changes or if you need to chat further!

You can add me to your favorites from the "My Questions" page, and if you start the question with the words "For canuck the pro," that will request me.

I surely want to be your go-to expert. Maybe I can tell you some household things that might be helpful. How to flush your water heater, maintain your dishwasher, or anything else that would be helpful to you. Thank you so much for allowing me to help with this today.